Wednesday 25 September 2013

More Challenging Problems @ Day Three

First problem which had my attention...

We were to use the digits 0 to 9 to form sums that gave us two digit answers by having two digits adding to another two digits, without using any digit twice. Below were some of the sums that i did. It might look plain and boring here but i was given mini digit cards so i concrete materials to produce the sums.


Then we were challenged to think deeper. 

What is the largest two digit answer possible?
Answer: 98 (Many possible ways such as 57+41 , 61+37...)

What is the smallest two digit possible? 
Answer: 39 (Only one way, which is 25 + 14)

I thought that this would be an interesting problem for the early primary to work with as it allows them to explore number bonds.   

The other problem which had me interested at the second impression was Fractions!!!


Sharing 3/4 of a cake between two people - How much cake does one person get?

At first, it seemed like a nightmare to me. I know how to get to the answer but when i saw the fraction that i had to work with, 3/4 divided by 2, I had a mental block!!! (Got me thinking about my secondary school mathematics)

Luckily, I had dearest course mates to the rescue and i enjoyed the process of working out the fraction sum :) The two methods that i did. Same answers but different way of looking at the model...





No comments:

Post a Comment